Undergraduate studies (Master Studies) 2014/2015
Thank you for your interest in studies at our Medical School.
The Charles University in Prague was founded in 1348 by the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and the Bohemian King, Charles the Fourth. Originally, Latin was used as the official language, later accompanied by Czech, German and English. Therefore admitting international students has always been the Faculty's policy. It is our privilege to offer you the chance to join us.
Prof. Otomar Kittnar, English Studies Vice-dean
Here you can find some essential info about medical studies at our University and how to apply:
April 25, 2014
Meet the Dean, Hospital visit,
Study programs offered in English [top]
6 year curriculum leading to the Master degree MUDr. - "Medicinae Universae Doctor" (M.D.) = Doctor of General Medicine
5 year program leading to the aster degree MDDr. - "Medicinae Dentium Doctor" = Doctor of Dental Medicine
International recognition [top]
The degrees are fully recognized in the EU and most countries for at least limited registration. The student should ask the authorities or professional bodies in the respective country for information about the conditions for full registration and recognition of the degree required to practice medicine.
The Faculty is listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools published by WHO (7th edition, 2000, page 105)
Faculty is also listed in the Directory of Postsecondary Institutions published by the US Department of Education
The First Faculty of Medicine has qualified to participate in programmes under Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA) and the Federal Student Financial Assistance Programs (Title IV, HEA programs) in the USA. Charles University in Prague - First Faculty of Medicine participates in the Federal Family Education Loan Stafford Program (OPE ID Number G33004).
Ranking of Charles University can be found HERE
How to be admitted [top]
Students are selected on the basis of an entrance examination. It is necessary to:
provide a notarized and translated copy of high school diploma (by Czech notary and to the Czech language (Students from US have to provide diploma from college.)
send a complete Electronic application form on time (for exam in Prague)
successfully pass the entrance exam
How and When to Apply [top]
Each student can apply only once per academic year. You have to apply separately for General Medicine and Dentistry (send 2 applications, one for GM and one for Dentistry) if you want to apply for both programs. Students can apply even prior to obtaining a high school diploma, so it is sufficient to send
Completed Electronic application form by e-mail
For exam in Prague:
When you fill your electronic application form and get a PDF format of application, please send this PDF to email admissions(at)LF1.CUNI.CZ. On application will be your registration number, which has to be processed by faculty administrator.
The deadline for sending regular applications for exam in Prague to our e-mail address is May 5, 2014.
(If you don't have an email address or very bad access to internet in your country, please send an application form only by post.)
For exam with representative:
IF YOU WANT TO DO THE EXAM WITH REPRESENTATIVE PLEASE DO NOT SEND THE ELECTRONIC APPLICATION FORM TO OUR E-MAIL BUT TO REPRESENTATIVES E-MAIL! The deadline for sending regular applications is specified by each official representative.
We start accepting application forms from 1. 1. 2014.
NOTE: For Enrolment, it is necessary to provide further documents – see Enrolment chapter for more details.
Entrance Exam [top]
Students are accepted on the basis of written and oral entrance examinations taken in English from the following subjects: standard college biology, chemistry and physics or math and an interview (just those who successfully pass the written part) both taken in English. Successful candidates must achieve at least 190 points out of 240. Both parts are taken the same day, so you should know if you've been admitted immediately. Sample questions are available. The examination is supervised by Faculty's examiners. The maximum number of enrolled students in the academic year 2014/15 will be 120 for GM and 20 for Dentistry. Calculators and periodic tables are not allowed.
You have 2 options:
You can take the exam at places specified by our official representatives. Please see our list of representatives for contact information and contact them directly. IF YOU WANT TO DO THE EXAM WITH REPRESENTATIVE PLEASE DO NOT SEND THE ELECTRONIC APPLICATION FORM TO OUR E-MAIL BUT TO REPRESENTATIVES E-MAIL!
- regular term June 10, 2014
- late term June 24, 2014 (just for those who are not able to attend the regular one because of serious reason)
- you should bring with you
- exam fee 20 EUR in cash
- passport or ID
- printed invitation letter with confirmation of registration from Mrs. Kristyna Bulinova
- other tips
- if a visa is required, a short-term (tourist) visa is sufficient for the entrance exam
- An invitation letter for the entrance exam will be send by post as well by an e-mail at the end of May. If the Invitation letter is needed earlier, please let us know. An invitation letter and e-mail will be sent to every applicant who meets all the criteria.
- preparation course
First Faculty of Medicine doesn't offer preparation course itself, but it's possible to attend preparation course of
: our representatives in Germany, Israel and UK
Note: For the additional term, there are limited opportunities to make all necessary arrangements in time (typically Visa and accommodation in residence halls) due to a very short period between the exam and enrolment. These reasons are not legitimate for postponing the beginning of study obligations.
Transfer Students [top]
1st Faculty of Medicine admits transfer students only to the 1st year.
Each transfer student has to do the entrance exam and provide notarized and translated copy of high school diploma (by Czech notary and to the Czech language). Student can apply only once per academic year to each study program. Student has to send
- Completed Electronic application form by e-mail (for exam in Prague)
When you fill your electronic application form and get a PDF format of application, please send this PDF to email admissions(at)LF1.CUNI.CZ. On application will be your registration number, which has to be processed by faculty administrator (If you don't have an email address or very bad access to internet in your country, please send an application form only by post.).
The deadline for sending regular applications for exam in Prague and to our e-mail address is May 05, 2014.
If student will successfully pass the entrance exam it will follow the interview with vice-dean on which should student bring original transcript from her/his previous university and syllabuses of fulfilled subjects. The vice-dean will suggest according to transcript and our faculty study plan in which year could applicant studying. (At least half of study has to be done on our Faculty, so student can apply for recognition of subjects highest to the 3rd year). It's only upon student if will accept the offer. Student has to complete at least half of study on our Faculty.
If student will accept the offer, s/he will be enrolled automatically to the 1st year of studies. Her/his results from previous university must be recognized by the heads of institutes, which are responsible for particular subjects on 1st Faculty of Medicine. Because of that transfer student have to visit during the 1st year all professors asking for recognition (involve subjects from 2nd, 3rd year).
Transfer student pay the same tuition fee as its set for regular student in particular academic year. Also transfer has to provide notarized and translated copy of high school diploma (by Czech notary and to the Czech language).
Here you can check our study plans to compare curriculum of your faculty with our curriculum:
Step by step procedure for recognition:
Students from EU countries and Shengen Zone do not need a Visa to enter or study at our University. (If you will come to study, you have to as a EU citizen register with Police office till 30 days from your arrival.)
If a Visa is required, please apply to the Czech embassy or Consulate well in advance, i.e. 3 months prior to the planned departure.
entrance exam - a short term visa is sufficient
enrolment - a long term Visa is required
(If you will come to study, you have to as a non-EU citizen register with Ministry of Interior office till 3 days from your arrival.)
- More information about visa proces
- More information to health insurance
Tuition and Costs [top]
Annual net tuition fee is:
330 thousand CZK for General Medicine
360 thousand CZK for Dentistry
Tuition fee is same for EU and non-EU students. Faculty doesn't provide any scholarships for tuition fee.
Faculty has right to increase the current amount of the fee for the 3rd and every other odd year of the Student´s studies at the faculty. This increasing cannot be more than 10% of the current amount of the fee and new amount will be announced by the dean for the actual academic year.
Additional expenses (not included in tuition):
Enrolment takes place in Prague in September before the semester begins and it requires:
- Admission valid for the respective academic year
- A Signed Contract with the Dean of our Faculty
- A notarized and translated copy of high school diploma (by Czech notary and to the Czech language)
- A Long-term Visa, if applicable
- Paid tuition fee (it has to be on faculty account at the day of enrollment)
For admitted students are determined these PPT presentations.
Living in Prague [top]
There is no doubt that you will find Prague very attractive, easy to live in and still affordable. You might be interested in:
As for living, English will work perfectly for you, but in order to be able to communicate with the patients on the wards during the clinical rotations some basic skills in Czech will be necessary. During the first three years of medical studies the student will attend lessons and tutorials in Medical Czech. There are also plenty of opportunities to practice Czech in the city.
Students can stay in the Residence Halls, we guarantee place for our 1st year students. Pictures of rooms could be find there. Our students usually stay at Komenskeho, Kajetanka and Hvezda.
It is currently very popular to rent a flat. It is quite common to get an apartment in the centre, few minutes away from the campus at around 400 EUR per month if you share.
can significantly vary depending on spending habits. Sample costs are introduced here.
accommodation 450 EUR/month shared double-bed apartment or shared room in the residence halls meals 3 - 5 EUR per meal in student canteens
11 EUR/ month
reduced-price student pass
average taxi ride in the city
The Academic year is divided into two semesters, each followed by exam period.
The winter semester starts at the end of September and lasts 15 weeks. It is interrupted by a 2-week Christmas vacation and followed by a 4-week examination period.
The summer semester lasts 15 weeks and is followed by an examination period and summer vacation.
Starting from the 2nd year, summer clerkships in clinical departments are included in the curriculum.
Student Affairs Office
Please feel free to contact us any time for further details regarding studies, accommodation, insurance, expenses, contacts to students… anything.
- Internet WWW.LF1.CUNI.CZ
- e-mail admissions(at)LF1.CUNI.CZ (Ms. Kristýna Bulínová)
- phone +420 224 964 378
- fax +420 224 964 317
- mailing address:
Charles University in Prague - First Faculty of Medicine
Foreign Student Affairs Department
121 08 Prague 2
There are several official representatives of our Medical Faculty around the globe.
- Botswana: Gaborone Medical Centre – representative for Botswana and SADC (Southern African Development Community).
Contact person: Prof. Branko Cavric Postal address: PO Box 70424, Gaborone, Botswana. Physical address: Thebe Circle 2819, Ext. 10, Gaborone, Botswana. Phones: +267 3184-597 and +267 72121-424. Fax: +267 316-5513. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Cyprus& Greece: Dr. Petros Afxentiou, P.O.Box 33303, 5313 Paralimni, Cyprus, phone: 00357 99605010, fax: 00357 23826962, webiste: www.czechuniversities-cyprus.com, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Germany, Austria and Switzerland: medizin-in-prag.de, ein Angebot, das Deinen Weg zum Medizinstudium in Prag unterstützt und Dich auf den Aufnahmetest vorbereitet. Alle weiteren Informationen findest Du unter http://www.medizin-in-prag.de/ . Kontaktaufnahme unter http://www.medizin-in-prag.de/kontakt/ oder telefonisch unter +49 371 33 78 98 41. Preparation courses: Für Deine optimale Vorbereitung auf den Aufnahmetest haben wir in Zusammenarbeit mit Dozenten der Karlsuniversität einen Crashkurs organisiert. Für mehr Informationen besuche bitte http://www.medizin-in-prag.de/crashkurs/ For best chances at your Entrance Examination we offer a Foundation Course in collaboration with teachers directly from Charles University. For more information visit http://www.medizin-in-prag.de/crashcourse/
- Greece & Portugal: CMS Agency, 23 Nikis str., Athens, 105 57, Greece. Tel.: 0030 211 7508143, 0030 211 7508144, E-mail address: info(at)cmasagency.gr, Site: http://www.cmsagency.gr/, Contact persons: MUDr. Vasileios Tzigkounakis (e-mail: vtzigkounakis(at)yahoo.com), Ioulia Papadofragkaki (e-mail: ipap10(at)gmail.com)
- India: Caxton Publications P Ltd., Carmel Centre, Banerji Road, COCHIN - 682 018, India, phone: + 91.484.2390409, 2397559, 2392959, e-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, website: http://www.caxtonin.com/
- Israel, Sweden, France: M.D. International Studies Ltd., 27/20 Egoz St., Ashdod, Israel, Dr. Moshe Cohen – phone: 00972-545255177, 0700361869, Fax:00972-3-7511960, e-mail: moshe_md(at)yahoo.com
- Malaysia & Singapore: BestEd Sdn Bhd, 806, 8th Floor PJ Tower, Amcorp Trade Centre, 18 Jalan Persiaran Barat, 46050 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, phone: (603) 7954 8834 / 5, fax: (603) 7954 9052, e-mail: enquiries(at)bested.com.my, website: http://www.bested.com.my/
- Norway: Bjørknes Høyskole / Bjørknes College, Lovisenberggata 13, 0456 Oslo, Norway, tlf: 23 23 38 20 | fax: 23 23 38 21, http://www.bjorknes.no/ | mailto:email@example.com
- Russia, Belorussia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan: GRET, Ltd., Kovanecká 2295/11, 190 00 Praha 9, Czech Republic, Mgr. Alexander Voronin, gsm: +420 608 96 99 89, fax: +420 222 96 77 91, www: http://www.czstudy.ru/, e-mail: alex(at)czstudy.ru
- Spain and Germany, Estudios Universitarios Internacionales, Contact person: A. Gómez, Edifici de la Devesa Mes Avall n° 18, 4° tercera puerta. AD700/ Escaldes-Engordany, Phone: + 34/ 628857477, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: http://www.donde-estudiar-medicina.es/
- Taiwan: Taiwan Springbok Transpolo Group, Perry Huang, 5 F, 66-1, Pei-Ning Road, Taipei, Taiwan 105 New tel : 886-2-2570 5232, email: perry383838(at)gmail.com, website: http://www.transpolo.com/
- Thailand: CP Tower 3 (BTS: Payathai Exit 3) Tower B, Phayathai Rd. Bangkok, Thailand 10400 Tel:Fax 02-354-4525, www.medcoachinstitute.com, email@example.com
- U.K., Ireland & Nigeria: Abbey College, 253 Wells Road, Malvern Wells, Worcestershire, WR 144JF, U.K. Ms. Debbie Hughes - phone: (0044)-1684-892300, e-mail: debbie(at)abbeycollege.co.uk, websites: http://www.cmucas.com/,
- Preparation courses in the UK for the First Faculty Entrance Exam through CMUCAS
- One Year International Foundation Programme.
Suitable for students who have not completed their High School Education or those who are contemplating a career change.
- Two Week Residential Revision Programme.
Suitable for students who want a crash course in preparing for the three examination papers.
- Both courses are held at the Abbey College, Malvern, UK. The entrance exam is held on site, directly after completion of either course.
Further information can be found on our UK representative's website http://www.cmucas.com/preparation-courses/or call Debbie on +44 (0)1684 892300
- One Year International Foundation Programme.